Monday, July 4, 2011

This is the day... Psalm 118:24


Today has been a GREAT day.
Do you ever have those days when you just feel like everything is better and everything is right? Today has been that day for me and it is only 4:00 right now! I have struggled this past week or so…really struggled with being content here. I keep thinking about the warm weather, sandy beaches, and southern hospitality that I am missing back home as the days get colder and darker here in Buenos Aires.  But today was different! It was as if I had put on rose colored glasses and the world around me had become a little bit lovelier. When I stepped outside of my apartment, it felt like an October day in chapel hill and the sky was bluer than I have seen it my whole time here. I rode the subte from near Junín, where I live over to the IFSA office to turn in my final literature paper…getting that six page load of analysis in Spanish off my hands could have made my day in and of itself. Afterward, I decided to walk the 20 blocks home and this is the first song that came on my ipod.
Perfect, huh?
A Beautiful World- Tim Myers
“It’s a beautiful world I see, everything looks differently…these moments are changing me.”
 Today, the cat calls from creepy young and old men alike did not faze me…I actually laughed and said “¡Gracias!” to one of the men who stood staring and saying “que Hermosa esa…” while we waited for the light to turn green.  The taxi that nearly knocked me over while I crossed the street as he turned right on red couldn’t bring me down either. 

I was beaming. I seriously couldn’t help it. I walked and gazed at the fantastic old arquitecture that lines the big city streets.

I felt so proud as I walked around, that I could get home without fumbling over my words to ask for directions. I stopped in at the kioskos and chatted with the street vendors with whom I have become a regular over the past five weeks. I ran errands for Bibi and bought myself some celebratory Argentinian helado (ice cream). Perhaps I have finally fallen in love with the city…ehh, maybe not fully in love…but still today was a day that I needed. If anything can change my heart for this city it is God, reminding me once again that this city is HIS and that today just like every day is a day made by Him and for worshipping Him for His creation! AND as if today could get any better, I am leaving for MENDOZA tonight on a bus—the land of mountainous landscapes and wineries! WAHOO! I hope to blog about our adventures there ASAP!
I hope your 4th of July is SUPER blessed, may we never forget that our God made today, and every day!
Praying that today is YOUR day too,
Katy
P.S. I am obsessed with this picture that I snapped secretly the other afternoon from the front of the subte…shout out to the sweeeet camera that my man Mark Ham gave me! :)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment