Sunday, June 19, 2011

Feliz Día de Los Padres



Today is Father’s Day in Argentina too. As I walked around Barrio Norte and Recoleta today instead of the overly touchy feely couples sticking out like sore thumbs, ALL I could focus on were the sweet fathers with their sons and daughters spending time together to celebrate El Día de Papá. I decided to conduct a little secret photo shoot as I waited at the “shopping” (that’s what the Argentinians call the mall) for my friends. All of a sudden a security guard came up to me and asked me what I was doing and why I was taking pictures. I tried to explain that I am from the states and that I have a blog and that I wanted to compare Father’s Day in Buenos Aires to Father’s Day in los Estados Unidos…but he wasn’t having it. He asked me to stop taking pictures because I might be bothering other customers…OOPS! These are the sweet moments that I captured before I got caught…
This guy looks kind of mad...maybe he's the one who told on me! But his son is really cute and happy to be chillin with his dad!!

This dad is rolling deep! He's got FOUR kids with him!

AH! The CUTEST! I debated asking them if I could take a picture from the front.

This cute little one was playing the swingggg game with dad!
I really enjoyed creeping on families today and the outward expression of love that I observed from all of the fathers and their children was really a beautiful thing. I’ve blogged previously about the LOVE that everyone expresses here and that outward expression of love certainly includes families. Bibi told me last week that her nieces, nephews, and grandchildren in the states would never kiss their parents goodbye at school or in front of anyone and how much it hurt her to see that. I don’t remember if I was ever acted that way, but if I did...eeek, sorry Mom and Dad!. She also told me that sons and daughters here in Argentina do not normally leave their homes until they are married and that she liked it that way. That's a little bit different than how we roll in the United States. She always wanted to be an integral part of her son’s lives. I met Bibi’s son and his three sons Tomás, Guido, and Gastón this weekend. I could tell he cherished his sons as much as Bibi cherishes him and loves watching them grow up as much as she enjoyed watching him become a man. It was really nice to see their family dynamic. SO, all of that being said let’s do as the Argentinians do and love our moms and dads…and each other…and not be afraid to show it.  
Anyway, shout out to the one and only EDWIN LINK! Thinking of you today Dad, and missing you more than you know!
Happy Father’s Day to all and to all a goodnight!
Katy

2 comments:

  1. As always I enjoyed blogging with you tonight. Can't wait to read your next blog. Goodnight my sweet Katy. Love Mom, Dad, Sandy and Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, you know what I meant....I enjoyed skyping. Haha I'm a flat tire on technology highway!!

    ReplyDelete