Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Cure for the Buenos Aires Big City Blues

Ayer fue un dia terrible, horrible, no bueno, y muy mal.

Just kidding...I'm not going to write in Spanish, though I REALLY need to practice. I kind of stink at it...eeek! But to translate, yesterday was a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" (to quote the title of the childrens book about Alexander and his very bad day). I won't go into the details but I will say I cried for an hour and a half with mi madre (Bibi). I was just exhausted, very very scared of Buenos Aires and the things that happen in big cities like this after the first day of orientation and I think I was missing home a good bit too.  I didn't realize that I'm kind of a small town girl!

BUT TODAY WAS SO MUCH BETTER!! Three great things happened today that cured my big city blues (for the time being):

1. I bought un teléfono!!
It is terribly important that I have one here, Buenos Aires being such a big city. Bibi wants me to be able to call her and tell her where I am...just like any mom does. And I want to be able to connect with students from my program so that we can explore together. Isn't it strange to think about the world before cellphones? How did people communicate? Danggg...we're SO fortunate to have that luxury! Anyway, I bought a pay as you go phone and only paid 100 pesos (25 dollars)!! That's the best deal that anyone in the program has gotten yet! Wahooo!

2. THEN, the craziest thing happened. I was walking home by myself 14 blocks (still scared of "el colectivo" or bus), when I ran into my friend Gabby. Gabby goes to UNC and is in Tri-delt! She has been studying in Buenos Aires since February and I didn't even know she was here. We ran into each other on a street called Santa Fe and as you can imagine, we were both really surprised to see each other. She asked me to go to a coffee shop with her and we sat and chatted for almost 2 hours. She gave me all kinds of tips, showed me how to read a map and how to get to where I need to be tomorrow AND the next day! We sipped café con leche and ate sandwiches; it was faaabulous. I told her today that she was truly a gift from God. In my terrified state, I needed a friend who knows the ropes and could speak to me in English about this place. I don't know why I worry and can be so impatient with the Lord. He has me in the palm of his hand and wants what is best for me and boy does He work in mysterious ways.

For the past few days I have been praying Psalm 86 and have been really encouraged by how God is constantly loving, PROTECTING, and pursuing me. The beginning of the Psalm says:

"1 Bend down, O Lord, and hear my prayer;
answer me, for I need you help.
2 Protect me for I am devoted to you.
Save me for I serve you and trust you.
You are my God."

Whew...AMEN!

3. And the last piece of the cure for the big city blues? Gabby took me on el subte!!
El subte is the subway and you know how scary it can be to venture down into those subway tunnels in New York! We only rode from  one stop to another but that cut out 8 blocks of walking and after walking probably about 6 miles today while wandering, I needed a break! Now I'm not quite as scared of and confused by the subway AND I bought an extra ticket to use the next time I need to ride the subte so I can pass go! That will definitely come in handy!

Anyway, thanks for reading! I love you guys!
Praising God for a better day,
Katy

 

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Katy,
    I am in awe of your faithfulness and am relieved that your fear of this big city is fading. May each day bring you more comfort in friendships and familiarity. It was such a pleasure for your Dad and me to skype with you last night. I will pray that you get the volunteer tutoring assignment that you are hoping for. I love your bright outlook that if it does not work out that surely an even better assignment will materialize! This will surely reinforce your purpose there.

    The following excerpts from Luke 12: 27 - 37 make me think of you, your faith and your wonderful way with God's presence in you.
    Luke 12: 27 "Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 28 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you? " 30 These things dominate the thoughts of most people, but your Father already knows your needs. 31 He will give you all you need from day to day if you make the Kingdom of God your primary concern. 32 "So don't be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom. 33 "Sell what you have and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven have no holes in them. Your treasure will be safe -- no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. 34 Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be. 35 "Be dressed for service and well prepared,
    Much love from Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you precious!

    ReplyDelete